Untapped is a half-day workshop by Operation New Birmingham focusing on development opportunities in the Entrepreneurial District.Several elements have combined to create the potential for attracting technology-related businesses to the area:
- The renovation of the former Sears store as a consolidated incubator opening next spring will ultimately house about 65 emerging businesses and 300-400 employees.
- The proximity of UAB and SRI’s academic campus, medical center, and research facilities.
- The nearby planned Railroad Reservation Park
- The City Center’s easily accessible cultural facilities, restaurants, and entertainment establishments. They, in turn, would draw the talent that has been described as the “creative class” to the Entrepreneurial District
Who Should Attend?
Developers, bankers, architects, high-tech and bio-tech entrepreneurs, attorneys, contractors, Realtors, investors, accountants, property owners, and anyone interested in development opportunities in the Entrepreneurial District.
Untapped Opportunities: The Entrepreneurial District Workshop:
- Friday, October 13, 2006, 8:00 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.
- At the B & A Warehouse, 1531 1st Avenue South
- Tickets – $49 each (Admission includes Resource Booklet)
- Payment may be made by check or credit card at the door
- Your registration is your reservation
8:30 am: Opening Remarks
- Mac Moorer, Board Chair, Operation New Birmingham
- Greetings from the Mayor’s Office
First Session: Laying the Foundation for the Entrepreneurial District
- Innovation Depot – a $17 million business incubator opening next spring
- UAB – Birmingham’s economic engine and its potential for impacting the District
Case Study: Triton Systems, Inc. – Practical lessons in moving technology from the lab to the marketplace
Keynote Address: Lessons from Richmond:
- Robert T. Skunda, President & CEO, Virginia Biotechnology Research Park, located in downtown Richmond near Virginia Commonwealth University
Break Second Session: Building the Entrepreneurial District
- Sites and buildings for technology, light manufacturing, and other companies
- Financial Incentives – Federal, state, and local
- Birmingham – A Cool Community for attracting talent
12:00 noon: Closing