You are invited to the Birmingham Startup project! Join the technology community in building a new tech company over the course of two weekends. Using the concept of “barn raising“, we are going to convene to see if we have what it takes to build a company in a compressed timeframe. On the first of two weekends we’ll work through the business planning for any number of business concepts. At the end of the first weekend, all participants will be invited to participate on a web conference to hear the presentations of 3 finalists. A majority vote will choose the winning project and everyone will come to the Innovation Depot on the next Friday to build the company over the weekend.
You’ve even got the chance of having YOUR idea built. Just add your idea/concept to this web page and add your name. If you are an entrepreneur seeking the next cool idea, there are several items listed on that same page which are seeking partners/leaders.
Why the Self-Imposed Short Time Frame? Like a diamond, great things happen under pressure. Too many efforts fall apart when given too much time. This focused effort will ensure that we narrow our focus on the singular outcome of building the company.
What’s in it for you?? Here are a few answers:
- Entrepreneur – Highly-compressed development time, Jumpstart in marketing exposure, free entrepreneurial startup coaching, peer validation of idea plausibility, and VC visibility opportunity… even if you don’t make it out of the first weekend, your idea will be much further along towards reality than if you wait for the ‘right time’ to get started down this path
- Manager/Director – Exposure to local talent, networking opportunities, bragging rights, free entrepreneurial process coaching, and a free t-shirt
- Programmer – Bragging rights, talent exposure (show off skills), job/networking opportunities, free entrepreneurial process coaching, challenge of limited-time problem solving, free development software, and free t-shirt
- Graphic Designer – Bragging rights, talent exposure (show off skills), job/networking opportunities, free entrepreneurial process coaching, challenge of limited-time problem solving and a free t-shirt
- SEO/Marketer – Bragging rights, talent exposure (show off skills), job/networking opportunities, testing ground for new and/or creative marketing ideas, media networking opportunities, and a free t-shirt
So, how can YOU get involved? Join the Birmingham Startup wiki today and add comments and/or edit pages with your suggestions/questions/observations. We’ll soon have an application process announced on the website. What are you waiting for? Let’s plan to build that barn!